Saturday, August 23, 2008

New Callings


So Dave and I just got new callings at church. He's the 2nd counselor in the Elders Quorum and I'm teaching the Mia Maids. Actually, I don't start teaching until tomorrow, but I'm all ready! Been reading up on the lessons this week. Last week when they gave me all the stuff I needed I got the wrong manual so I was studying the wrong lesson. Which is perfectly fine by me. The one I didn't need to read was on journals and it brought up some really good points. Did you know that it was actually a commandment to keep a journal? You don't have to write in it every single day, but it's actually a commandment. And I forget which one, but there's a quote from one of the prophets that says if you aren't keeping a journal you need to repent and start one! That was a bit of a check for me. I have one, but I don't write in it very often at all. 
But anyways. The lesson for this week is pretty cool. I'm actually really glad that I get it first because it's all about heritage and family traditions and things which should provide a really easy way to get to know my girls right away. And even better, it focuses on the girls and stresses the importance of leaving a good heritage for your posterity instead of focusing on their parents and ancestors so I don't need to worry so much about being careful to not make them feel bad if their parents haven't done an exceptional job. I don't even know the names of my girls or anything about them so that's quite relieving. 
I'm pretty excited to teach. Having never done it before, I'm a bit nervous, but I'm feeling pretty good right now. Hopefully I'll still feel the same way tomorrow! :)
Dave is pretty mellow about his calling. He isn't nervous or anything. It was pretty funny when they were explaining to us what he would be doing - I was thinking about how much time he'll need and how it sounded like a huge pair of shoes to fill. And then when we talked about it he was just like Yeah. It's a counselor in the Elders Quorum. No sweat. I'm really glad he's so relaxed about it. I'd be sweating bullets, but I guess that's why it's his calling and I'm just teaching the 14 and 15 year old girls. :)

3 comments:

Ritsumei said...

Yay for teaching the youth! It's the best job ever. I'll bet your lesson today went great!

Dorine said...

Hey lady!!! There is a cat on your back!!! :)

I love reading your blog. It is cool to read about the things that you are doing and the things that you are learning. Thanks for sharing.

I love you!!

Mom

Cindy said...

Hi Emma! This is your cousin Cindy (your Aunt Judy's daughter). Your mom gave me your blog address. I know, we don't know each other but it's fun to see what my distant relatives are up to. I liked your thoughts on journal writing. I'm horrible at it, but at least I have a blog- just print those posts out and I'm good to go!