Saturday, December 17, 2016

Welcome to Burlington!

Alrighty. I'm trying something new tonight since I can't get my phone to play nice with my computer and upload pictures. I'm writing a blog post on my cell phone! Please excuse my awkward thumbs and any typos they may cause. Acidental or otherwiz.

So I have pretty much decided that I love our new town. We moved to a small Iowa town a little over a month ago and have been getting settled in and visiting family that was previously way too far away and generally falling in love with the goodness that is Burlington, Iowa.

There are many similarities to the area I grew up in, but there are some new and interesting features as well. Burlington is smashed up against the Mississippi River with its own little port where the riverboats coming through from St. Louis stop off and take a peak at the cute little town before moseying up the river on their way to Minneapolis. There is a very nice library with tons of free activities and events for the entire community. This afternoon Chelsea and I attended a Christmas Carol concert put on by the community choir while enjoying free hot chocolate, good books, and snow falling.

A side note: I talked to the director and am currently in the process of setting up an audition to join said choir.  *Sqeeeeeeeee! I'm going to be in a community choir again and they are performing with a nearby university symphony in February! I can't wait!*

Burlington also boasts dozens of Mom and Pop shops, a delicious Italian restaurant, and some very subtle, but amusing, finds.


That there is a pink yield sign. They were even kind enough to put a bright red fire hydrant next to it for comparison. Nope. My camera is not messed up nor am I color challenged. That there is a pink yield sign.


That says "Deery Collision Center". I guess we know their speciality.


Ok, so this isn't so funny, but it's cool. That's an angel ice sculpture cut-out. Chelsea actually found this one today. She makes a pretty cute little angel, if I may say so.


And this one is my favorite. They're not beating about the bush on this one. Don't. Just don't.

Well, that's a peek at Burlington. Come visit sometime! It's pretty fabulous.

4 comments:

thmsrm said...

Mom and I want to plan a trip to come see you guys, hopefully around the time of the Nauvoo pageant since you are so close. It looks like a cool little town.

Anne Chovies said...

Yay for fun places to live! From what I've seen, there's no shortage of interesting things to see and do there. That's part of the fun and adventure of moving; exploring and finding fun places and things!

misskate said...

Yay for a peek at your new town! Looks like it has plenty of character :) Hooray for loving where you are!

Ritsumei said...

Looks just lovely!
*Gotta love the signs.