Friday, February 18, 2011

Valentine's Day Cake: Part 2

So last week I posted all about this fabulous cake that I was going to make. Only problem was that I hadn't made it... therefore, no pictures. Today we have pictures! :)

Ok. So just to refresh everyone's memory (and not to have a post purely of pictures) here are the instructions again with the pictures.

Bake 2 two-layer cakes and freeze them. Bake a red velvet cake and crumble it and mix in 1/2 half of a can of cream cheese frosting.
Use toothpicks to draw a circle on the top of each cake. (Hold center toothpick and rotate outer one.) This makes a guide for the next bit.


Grab a metal heart shaped cookie cutter and make a line on the side of the cutter right in the middle to make sure you don't go too deep or shallow.

On the first cake, cut out the bottom half of the heart, following the circle guide.
On the second cake, cut out the top. Cutting out the heart is a little bit difficult since the cake is frozen, but it is important to be frozen so there are fewer crumbs and the cake holds together better. Also, because it's frozen, it's important to use a metal cutter. Plastic will break.

Remove the part you just cut out.

Fill the cake with red velvet cake and frosting mixture. Press it down so it fills the heart shape.

Frost one of the cakes. I chose to only frost the white part of the cake so there wouldn't be a white line through the heart, but you can do either way.

Put the cake with the top part of the heart on top of the other and frost the outside of the cake.

And viola! You have a heart in every slice! :)



In the end, this is what our Valentine's Dinner looked like and we had the cake for dessert. Everything turned out just like I hoped - even the silly pink milk! I decided to get that just because it made me laugh and I hoped having pink drinks would make Dave laugh too... turns out he LOVES the stuff and was very excited! Dave got me those gorgeous flowers and I made dinner with his favorite food and mine (my spinach lasagna and asparagus) and we watched a silly old movie called Love Potion #9. A wonderful evening.

3 comments:

misskate said...

That looks awesome! The pictures totally help (though, I'm VERY much a visual learner). Looks like a lovely dinner for V-day!

Anne Chovies said...

That looks like such a fun cake - I've never heard of that. Looks like it turned out wonderfully!

Dorine said...

Very creative!!